Monday, August 6, 2012

Delmas, South Africa

So here is the post most of you have been waiting for. The what happened in South Africa post.
I went to the airport Wednesday day and flew to St. Paul. After St. Paul, I went to Atlanta. I had a nice long wait in Atlanta, I arrived at about 10:30 and my plane didn't take off until after 8pm. I had spent Tuesday on a glacier celebrating 2 years with my husband and found myself fighting a cold. I spent most of the day sleeping. I board my flight and flew for 19hrs landing in Joburg just after 6pm. I went trough customs, got my bag and walked out the sliding doors. I little dazed and travel weary, I started to look for someone from the Amor Staff. I quickly heard LaDonna calling my name. She showed me where the bus was waiting and head that way. Chipo, Luke's wife, greeted me. I climbed on the bus, and Debbie, my small group, called me over to sit with her. Lydia, also in my school group was near, and I saw Sally, someone I have done many weeks of Barnabas with. We rode the bus to Ebenezer Farm. We found our rooms, had a short meeting and then off to bed.
We got up the next morning and were off to the lion park. I got to pet a lion cub. I didn't feed the giraffe. Then we went in a caged car around the open camps of animals. We watched a cheetah sit on a hummer. Urban Saints were their and getting ready to leave. They had spent the week building their own house, they also laid or 22 by 22 slab for us. Because they laid our slab for us, they weren't able to finish their second coat of stucco. We had a meeting time together and the passed the "baton" on to us. We got to meet the pastor board, and hear Pastor Gabriel speak.
Sunday, we got and got ready for church. We were meet with some sad news, as Kim's niece had passed away. We went to Pastor Gabriel's church, it's dutch reform. He had invited a black house to come and sing. The service was in Afrikaans. Afterwards, we went over to the Soweto. Our first stop was Walter Sisulu square. Sisulu was a freedom fighter, and had spent time in prison with Mandela. We stopping outside a museum that was closed, the sign for the museum had didn't freedom fighters, and Luke's grandma was one of them. We also the monument to the new constitution. After that we went over to an area of the Soweto know as Orlando West. We stopped by Regina Mundi, it's a church that was harboring people during the apartheid and police broke in and shot at people. After that we went to the Hector Pieterson museum. Hector took part in a march against being taught in Afrikaans and was one of the first students shot and killed in 1975. After that we did a little shopping and then walked over to the intersection where Hector was shot, and just down the street from there was Nelson Mandela's house.
Monday morning, we were divided into three groups. Our house build, Stucco for Urban Saints, and outreach. I was placed in outreach. We went over to a daycare center and had a VBS for the kids in the area. Tuesday, it was two group the daycare, and house building. Once again I went over to the daycare. Three things were happening at the daycare: outreach, painting, and starting a garden. I helped with garden. Wednesday, I went over to house building to finish out the week working on the house.
In the evenings, we had activities with our small group, we got to do beading, dessert cooking, zulu dancing, and Jessica Baker talked about women's self image.
Saturday morning, We got up and some headed over to the airport, and the rest went to Nkosi's Haven. We got a tour, and I got just be there for a little boy named Sean. After that it was over to the airport and to say our goodbyes.
It was a great trip and I hope to someday to return to Delmas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment