Friday, June 28, 2013

Friendship and the Army

So I've notice it more here in Fairbanks than I did around Fort Rucker. It seems that everyone is friendly, but they aren't really into making friends especially so with those of here for the Army. I understand, I sometimes have my reservations. Why bother making friends with people who live, seeing as how I'm just going to leave? But when God made me, He made me a people person. In fact, I need that relationship to thrive. There are people who are friendly we chat when our paths cross. However there is only a small handful of those people that I would call friends. We try to fit each other into our busy lives. I know that it may even be harder on them when I leave. As it is just James and I, when the time comes to say good bye, I can remind myself, that I will see these people again. Now it may not be on this side of heaven, but I will see them again. They have it a little harder because some of these friends, have children that I have spent time with and played with and laughed with. They will have to explain to their children why we are moving, but still they invest in me, and I in them. I think one reason is because when you have friends they can help carry some of the burden of life. I don't know why some people hold back in the friendship department with the Army. I know some of comes from not understanding, our lives are very different and sometimes they harder to keep shiny and pretty looking, somethings in our lives just can't be swept under the carpet when company is around. Good-bye is hard to say and not fun to deal with, but I however wouldn't want to miss out on that connection and a long the way as you make friends you find that some of these friends are connected. At each duty station I've been (both of them), one of friends has been friends with someone I know back in Phoenix. I could keep to myself and just the other Army people out there, but then I would miss out on a friendship with a lady who is wise, and friendly, and a great example of godly wife and mother. I would miss out painting with 2 small children and giving a little relief to migraine mother, who just wants to be a mother. I would have to find something else to do Sundays after church. I would have never had tons of fun golfing at 8:30pm. Will I miss these people? Yes, but once again I look at the cost and the enjoyment. The happiness these people have brought into my life, out way the small pain of good-bye. If I don't see them again in this life, I will get to see them again and then I will spend the rest of life as we know it with them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment