Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Big C

I should probably start off by saying, I am daddy's little girl. My world up until a few months revolved around my father. He was greatest man in my life. He took care of me. If something was broken he fixed. If I needed help he helped me. I often call him Poppy bear. He will defend me. Some people have said things about me and my father has put them in their place. I'm quite sure the man is fond of me. How many fathers are willing to drive out to Mesa to change a flat tire?

So about a month ago I had my world shaken up quite a bit. I received an e-mail from my father. I was still in Alabama with James at this time. It said that he had lymphoma. I was a mess. I had just read the e-mail and James shows up at my hotel room finished with work for the day. I felt bad from because I was in tears and scared. I probably didn't say one word that made sense. He was probably standing wondering what he had gotten himself into with this girlfriend who has just emotionally fallen apart. I spent the next two weeks worry about my father.

I come home and after talking with my dad, there isn't too much to worry about. He had notice a lump on his neck below his ear one morning. So he goes online to WebMD and he types in the symptoms. It comes back telling him it's most likely an infection and will go away in two weeks. Two weeks come and go and it's still there. So my dad goes to the doctor. Where they begin to poke, prod and run tests. It takes some work and my dad has almost had it, and is about to give up when the last test comes back as lymphoma. They checked him out and it from some else in his body. This is the only piece cancer. So now what? The good thing is my dad is fine and it isn't life threating at least not now because it was caught so early. This has a high rate of being cured the sooner it is found. He has surgery on Friday Nov 20th. After they take it out they will decide if they need to do radation or not. With the surgery they are going into remove the lump and maybe some muscle if the lump has attached to the muscle. If they do remove the muscle he may lose so funiction in his left arm, but he is fine with that.

As for the family, my dad is handling the best. He'll tell you it's nothing to worry about he isn't dieing which is true. My mother and I are keeping an eye on him. Her and I will take care of him afterwards. My sister doesn't want to talk about it at all. She has the mindset of if we ingore it'll go away. My mother is staying very busy she's only taking two days off of work. This is good because as long as mom is moving and doing stuff, she's doing fine. I'm no longer a basket case like I was. If you have been praying for my father thanks a bunch. If you haven't cause you didn't know and are going to start thanks a bunch. He'll be fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment