Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Obladi, Oblada


For those of you that don't know, It's from a Beatles song, and the next line after that is life goes on. After I left Korea, where was I? What was I doing? Well, here goes.

In the words, of the great and wonderful Mary Beth, I was spending times with my "holy hotness." I feel that I can steal the phrase from and use it, as she is the one who found my "holy hotness." I flew from Korea to Atlanta. Where James picked me up.

The flight over was very long and I was pretty worn out by the time I got to James. I had gotten lost in China, partly because I didn't check my flight number before leaving the plane, and partly because my geography failed me. There was a nice lady holding a sign with my flight number that said New York. I wasn't flying to New York, I was flying Newark, NJ. Which lead me to get lost, and I have a stamp in passport from China. After enjoying the whole row to myself. I land in Newark. For those of you who have never flown international, upon arriving back int he beautiful USA, you must pick up your luggage go through customs and the give it back to the airline. Now by this point, I'm use to airports that have line you must wait behind, so there is no crowding of the carousel. I go get my luggage cart. (Which I had to pay for, you don't have to pay for them in other countries. I looked at the attendant, and said "Seriously, I have to pay this?") So I have perched on luggage a fair distance away from the carousel and wait to see my beautiful bags. As I wait people begin to crowd around the carousel. To point they might as well be standing on top of it and each other. There is no point to this, it doesn't make your luggage come any faster. I see my bags, and remember I'm back in the land where you use the nice little phrase "Excuse me." I say, "Excuse me" three times, and the sea doesn't part. They continue to stand. So in a very Korean fashion I push through. Somebody looks at me and says, "lady you don't have to push." At which point I respond with, "And you people don't need to crowd the carousel. In other part of the world, they have a line you have to stand behind. Just so you all know, seeing as how don't know, crowding the carousel doesn't really do anything. It doesn't make your luggage come faster. It does however, frustrate, those of us who have the common sense to wait away from it." As if that wasn't enough, at the gate the announce that we'll be boarding by sections. However, this doesn't stop people from lining up and trying to get on the plane. They won't let you unless you are in the section. I'm sure you see where this going. My section was called first. So I'm saying "excuse me" and some people are moving, others not so much. So I finally stop and just let them have it. Now bear in my mind that I got up at about 5am Saturday, Korea time and it's now like 3pm Saturday in NJ. "Look, you all just need to move, and let people through. There is no point in crowding the gate. The bus and the subway, I understand, there are only so many seats and it's nice to sit down. However, with planes, everybody will get a seat, and they only let you on if you have a little piece that says you have seat." This was a case of Michelle being to blunt of most people to take, because I heard someone say, "Lady you don't have to be (insert whichever lovely little word you like) about it." Once I got on the plane, things did get better. There was this nice lady and her two sons. They were on the waiting list, so none of them had seats together. She had the window seat and I had the aisle. She wanted to switch so that she could see her sons better. Seeing that her youngest son had the aisle just a few rows ahead of me, I looked at her and said, "Why don't I just trade with him?" She looked at me like I just made her day. She asked "Are you sure?" I said, "The plane's going to same place no matter where I sit, and the only person, who can say anything is your son cause it's his ticket that has the seat number." She looked at me and said "Thank you very much." Turns out that I'm not the only nice person out there because they three of them were sitting together. So I made it to Atlanta. James was waiting there for me. It was so great to see. It was so nice to hug him too.

Back in AL, we had a good time. We went to the movies, played miniature golf and had dinner together. We went to church and I got to hear him play his trumpet and sing. I cooked dinner for him sometimes too. I think those were my favorite nights. He did all my chopping for me. It was a good time. It was a great three months with him. We spent the time getting to know one another better. We had been through a lot. He learned that when I get grumpy, you really shouldn't pick on me. I might throw a box of dryer sheets at you. I learned about the things that annoy him. I like the way my hand fits in his, and the way I fit inside arms and suddenly feel safe. I got to really feel that twice. Once was after the car accident, and the other was when I got the news from my father. (That is a blog in itself and I'll get there.) I really can't tell you how wonderful this man is. He makes feel like I'm greatest thing out there. I'm told I return the favor. I look at him many days and wonder why God gave me a man so wonderful and amazing. That's pretty much what is going on with me. I can tell you he is the hardest thing in the world to leave. I've never had so much trouble leaving anybody ever. Don't get me wrong, it hurt and was hard to get on that plane and leave my parents. With him, it's different, it's almost like, I'm tearing myself into two when I leave him.

No comments:

Post a Comment